Given the fact that I generally cook for one, I always end up with leftover pieces of bread that go to waste. Next time I have a heel or a few extra pieces, I’ll be making bread crumbs instead. Here’s how to do it:
1. Stash leftover bread in a zippered plastic bag in the freezer.
2. Once the bag is full cut the bread into large chunks.
3. Pulse those chunks in the food processor until they are crumb-size.
4. Toast the crumbs in a 350 degree oven on a rimmed baking sheet for about 4 to 6 minutes. (This step is key!)
5. Store them in an airtight container in the freezer until you’re ready to use them.