As we sail through April and into May, June and beyond, thoughts turn to all things grilled. Fire up the barbie and let’s cook out!
Doctors there identified six cases of ‘accidental ingestion’ of grill brush parts, and published the findings in the latest issue of American Journal of Roentgenology. (I have NO idea how you pronounce that last word.)
Looks like some overzealous scrubbing of the grill with wire-bristled grill brushes resulted in some spikes from the brush sloughing off onto the grill, which hapless BBQ attendees then ate, causing painful swallowing and stomach pain. All patients had to have the metallic wires removed via surgery. (One patient’s intestine had been perforated, another had a puncture in the stomach and liver, and another had the wires lodged in the neck.) Eek!
Bottom line, according to the doctors who fished out the offending bristles? If you want to be extra careful, after you’ve scoured your grill with a brush, use a paper towel to wipe it free of any debris!