There’s nothing I enjoy more than warm weather, good friends, and a backyard gathering, but pesky mosquitoes can really spoil the party. I’ve already been to two parties at which guests were sent running indoors to escape the pests.
Bug spray seems like a simple solution, but I’m convinced I’m allergic to it. Plus, nobody likes to smell like they’ve bathed in a chemical cocktail.
To keep the party outdoors, I’ve rounded up some tips for natural mosquito control.
1. Fill your garden with citronella, catnip, rosemary, and lavender—all plants considered to be natural insect repellents. Snip some leaves, crush them, and keep them close by for best results. You can even rub the lavender flower behind your ears and on your wrists and neck for maximum bug control (Bonus: It’s an all-natural perfume too!).
2. Use a plant-based spray such as Repel Lemon Eucalyptus ($7, amazon.com).
3. Light your backyard with all-natural citronella candles such as Big Dipper Wax Works Outdoor Candles ($14, buygreen.com). They’ll keep bugs at bay and set the mood by casting a warm glow on your outdoor space.
4. During the summer, replace your regular daily soap with one like Maximum Strength Neem Therape Cleansing Bar ($10, amazon.com). This natural, plant-based body wash will help deter bugs with minimum effort.
5. Believe it or not, the way you dress can also attract bugs. Mosquitoes are drawn to dark colors, so keep your LBD on the hanger and opt for something lighter.
How do you keep mosquitoes and other bugs at bay when you entertain outdoors?