There are a few key questions when it comes to determining what makes a great appetizer:
1. Can I make it ahead of time?
2. Are the ingredients easy to obtain?
3. Is the recipe easy/quick to follow?
4. Can I make extra (while I’m at it) and freeze some for my next party?
5. Does it disappear within seconds of being served to my guests?
If the answer is “yes” to all 5 of these questions, I know I’ve found a go-to appetizer for the entertaining repertoire. A perfect example: these savory palmiers from Ina Garten. It’s one of the most crowd-pleasing apps I’ve ever served, and a cinch to throw together. Maximum “fancy appearance” with minimal effort. Gold seal of hostess approval.
You can assemble the “rolls” the day before your party, then just slice and bake 15 minutes before serving them up warm to your guests. I usually make an extra batch to keep in the freezer – good to have on hand for impromptu entertaining.
Tell me: What are your “requirements” for what makes a great appetizer? Do you have a go-to recipe?