We'll soon be welcoming in the "quiet month" as my friends often refer to January. It's the month when all the festivities are past and you no longer have to think about parties, food preparation, circling parking lots for a space, sending your cards on time, driving your kids from one activity to the next and frosting dozens of cookies. In other words, life returns to business as usual. Or does it? After the holidays many report feeling sluggish, notice some weight gain, and others feel like they've caught a cold or flu. If you want to de-stress after the holidays so that you can get back to "normal", I have 6 tips that I found, in a decorating book of all places, that can certainly help you!
The book is called, "Life's Little Pleasures: A Perfect Day", and I've had this little gem for several years and refer to it often, it's one of my favorite books because it combines decorating ideas with tips on how to make your life more meaningful — teaching you to seek out and then delight in life's little pleasures. Here are a few of these pleasures that I think may help all of us to de-stress and prepare for the new year ahead – I've mixed in some of my own tips, too.
1. Add 8 drops of rosemary pure essential oil in the shower, turn on the water, and step in. The burst of freshness will invigorate your body from top to toe.
2. Find a recipe for a good healthy granola and make it yourself, then add some freshly sliced fruit and enjoy a bowl for breakfast. Try to eat simple and light for a week or two and drink lots of water. (tip: this website has some nice recipes.)
3. Organize your closet. The sight of a messy closet first thing in the morning can be stressful. Arrange your clothes by type (trousers, blouses, skirts, etc.) and within that category, by color. Store or donate what you do not wear or that may be too tight on you due to all those second and third helpings of ham and cookies! Don't worry, you'll spring back to your old size soon enough, but for now, only display clothes that you can fit into or else your closet will be a very depressing place to visit if your pre-weight gain clothes are hanging there unable to be enjoyed.
4. Arrange your desk so that it is tidy and gives you a sense of well-being. Add a small flower arrangement to your desk for a calm, attractive space.
5. Enjoy weekend breakfast in bed, smoked-salmon bagels with cream cream and poached eggs is a personal favorite. It is light and a lovely way to begin a weekend either alone or with a partner.
6. Soak in a warm tub at the end of the day. Think of your bathroom as a haven of pure relaxation and set the scene by dimming or turning off all of the lights, put on your favorite relaxing tunes, and light some candles. Soak for a full 20 minutes.
Don't you feel more relaxed already?
What do you do to de-stress after the holidays?
(image: holly becker)