I was in a meeting in my office last week and the topic of discussion was thongs. Yes, that’s right, thongs: When your coworkers are mostly women, and you work for a magazine that covers fashion, thongs are actually quite a legitimate subject of conversation. And thank God for that! It certainly makes the day more fun. Anyway, one of my coworkers—we’ll call her A—remarked that not only does she not like thongs, but on the rare day that she does wear one, it significantly affects her mood. At some point during the day, she realizes she’s really grumpy, and then a lightbulb goes off and she thinks: “Oh, I’m wearing a thong. No wonder.” Immediately after this meeting the wonderful Julee Wilson from the Real Simple fashion department blogged about it; check it out.
This thong conversation got me thinking about the very small things that can ruin your mood on an otherwise fine day. They include:
• pants with a tight waistband
• flat hair
• a dirty kitchen floor
• two soccer games on two different fields at the same time
• an e-mail with an exclamation point attached that is not at all urgent
• an unsatisfying lunch
• having to ask your son four times to empty the dishwasher
• Magic Markers without their caps
• no fruit in the fruit drawer
Oh, I could just go on and on. Unfortunately. Luckily, today is not one of those days. At least not yet.