A guest post from Timothy Dahl, founder of CharlesandHudson.com
If your mom is like mine the best gift I could give her is time. From a long-distance call to a lunch at her favorite bistro, most moms simply enjoy catching up and knowing how much you care.
Why not make your time spent with mom more productive this year and share in a do-it-yourself project that will live on long after the day has passed. This project should be completed within a day and be planned by you with a final goal to be reached with just yourself and your mom.
1. Tackle some no-money home makeover ideas at your mom’s house. She’ll love the fresh take on her own home without spending cash.
2. If you’re tech-savvy and your mom isn’t, teach her how to email and print digital photos. It’s a skill the electronic generation takes for granted and is coveted by those who aren’t as literate on the computer but love taking and sharing photos.
3. Get down and dirty in the back yard and build a garden box where you can plant your mom’s favorite vegetables and herbs.
4. Spruce up your mom’s cabinets and dressers by shopping for vintage cabinet pulls from local thrift shops or antique stores.
5. Offer to help mom organize her closets, you never know what treasures you might find for yourself that she’s willing to part with. This can lead into trip to a consignment shop or your local Goodwill or even the start of a yard sale.
What DIY projects would you plan with your mom?
CharlesandHudson.com is an online DIY resource that was selected last year by Real Simple as one of the best home blogs. It’s chock full of home improvement tips and remodeling ideas from independent designers, craftsmen, and homeowners. Timothy honed his DIY acumen at an early age as his dad involved him in all house projects. This served him well during stints at This Old House, PointClickHome and now as the editor of Charles & Hudson.